On Thursday, July 16th at 6pm, Community Coalition Kauai (CCK) hosted a community forum with 17 of the County Council Candidates for 2020. https://www.communitycoalitionkauai.org
Enjoy this 2.5 hour video replay where council candidates took turns answering 3 key questions that follow
- QUESTION 1 Food Sustainability
- What would you do to grow Kaua`i’s agricultural economy and increase the island’s food sustainability? Food sustainability requires affordable land, housing and marketing. What would you do to assure that land, housing and marketing needs are met to strengthen food security? How can we reduce the loss of water from our streams and apportion the distribution of water more fairly to encourage a more sustainable farm program?
- QUESTION 2 Re-opening Tourism on Kaua`i?
- How do you envision Kaua`i’s future economy in contrast to its pre-covid economy? Do you think that the island can be opened to tourism safely? How? What are your views, if any, on how we can address tourism and find other sources of jobs to sustain Kaua`i?
- QUESTION 3 Housing and Affordability
- Plans have been made to develop Lihue Town Center, 2800 plus units, Kalaheo Town Walkable District and Koloa Town Walkable District. Since approval of these plans, a bill has been introduced that exempts these and developments of 10 residential units or more per acre from the Housing Ordinance affordability requirements. What is your view on this proposed exemption? If developers are given an exemption from affordability, where will Kauai’s affordable housing come from? What potential is there for county-acquired distressed properties and abandoned buildings to be converted to affordable housing?